Day 133

The Don Kings are coming in good this year!

August 6th, 2010

28 Comments

• Barb C. says:

Michael in Arkansas, good morning, Thought I was the only one up this morning. Where a in Arkansas are you? I will be coming to Chester Arkansas Sept.18th.

1. Brent in Big D says:

I want to say those are Lombardy Poplar trees. You will see a bunch of them out there.

2. Sandy says:

They are Lombardy Poplars, and you will see a lot of them out there. They use them for wind breaks.

• Jeff says:

wow…I had a deja vu moment.

• Dorinda from Mentor, Oh. says:

Yeah, me too! wow. And to think it’s without any drugs at all !!

• Jeff says:

I got the “don kings” after my second reading. The spikey hair…..Matt has a great sense of humor..and then to see the tree’s and think of Don King…..pretty cool. This is what I will miss the most….besides all you buds out there.

• Dennis in So Cal says:

I agree Jeff. I will be happy for Matt when he reaches Rockaway, OR, but I’m going to miss this blog.

3. Gayle Opie says:

When I was a kid we had a hedge of trees that looked something like those except ours were Chinese Elm. But they grew with all the branches growing upward like that. Interesting way for a tree to grow but I guess then can grow closer together when they are shaped like that.

4. deanna valenti meyer says:

There are several places around the area here in Vancouver that have these types of trees. They look especially beautiful when there are a bunch of them in a row. :) Stay hydrated out there…it’s going to be a warm part of the trip.

5. Candice In Alabama says:

Hmmmm….I’d like to plant some of those to shade my windows from the Westerly Sun!

6. RAYMOND in ALABAMA says:

CANDICE IN ALABAMA IF YOU PLNAT SOME OF THESE DO AS I DID ON MY SECOND PLANTING OF THESE TYPES OF TREE’S. THEY ARE HYBRID POPULARS AND GROW 8 FEET PER YEAR, THE TOPS OF MINE DIED, NEXT TIME I PLANTED I WOULD CUT 2 TO 3 FEET PER YEAR OFF AND THEY DONE FINE. DO NOT PLANT CLOSE TO SIDEWALKS OR DRIVES, THE ROOTS WILL GROW UNDER THEM BEFORE YOU KNOW IT AND THEN YOU CONCRETE IS BADLY DAMAGED. IF YOU ARE LIKE ME YOU HATE TO SEE THIS TRIP END, I’VE HAD A LOT OF PLEASURE READING EVERYONE’S POST’S

• Dorinda from Mentor, Oh. says:

Yes ditto on what Raymond said about the roots. We had something like this, maybe way the same don’t know, but the roots are thick and spread out. Ours were planted in front of our shed/barn and the roots caved in the foundation real bad. Had to take them out and it was very hard work to get them out. So be careful where you plant them.

7. April from CA says:

Ha! Matt, you’re funny! We have lots of those in SoCal. I think I will call them that from now on.

8. MN Roxanne says:

Bless the trees for being a wind block and holding the soil in place….

9. Flavia says:

looks like a much larger version of those weeds from yesterday

10. Ashley in MD says:

This looks like an AT&T commercial haha

11. Saun in Ohio says:

LOL Matt

12. Roe says:

I believe that they are poplars, and used often as windbreaks.