Day 104

Ottendorfer Library

April 12th, 2012



Another remnant of Little Germany, the Ottendorfer Library was built in 1884 as the second branch of the grass-roots New York Free Circulating Library (whose origins purportedly lie in a sewing class teacher lending books to her students to keep them from reading cheap, sensational story papers), and it became part of the New York Public Library when the two systems merged in 1901.

Leave a Reply