Day 1876

Still at it!

February 17th, 2017

I'm still walking and regularly posting — I'm just working through a big backlog of photos right now. See below for the latest posts. (The dates on the posts are the dates I took the pictures.)

42 Comments

1. Jjak says:

Welcome back Matt!

2. This past spring I took up the challenge and I decided to walk, photograph and blog every street in my own town. http://www.chrisloehmer.blogspot.com. Luckily my town only has a population of just over 3000, but I still don’t think I will finish yet this fall. I totally understand though about getting a backlog of pictures! I’ve taken as many as 40 in a one hour walk! Can’t wait to see more of your pictures and hear more of your stories.

3. Karen Too says:

No worries, Matt. :-)

Since living in upstate NY for 5 years now, I have taken over 13,000 photos. (Of course, not all are keepers, but you get my point.)

If I had to do a history on each of only the good ones, I might never get caught up!

As always, I am loving all of your posts and photos.

Right now, I am particularly enjoying the series from May 10, 2014.

It’s part of NYC that I never got around to visiting in my many years living in Manhattan and Brooklyn.

4. Gigi says:

It’s okay, Matt, we understand! I walk just every weekend and haven’t uploaded my August and part of July photos yet, how much more if I walk every day so I totally get it. And then there’s the research behind each post, so hats off to you!

Walk at your own pace, we’re gladly walking along with you.

5. Mark McClure says:

Hi Matt,

I discovered your blog today. You’re inspiring!! Thanks.

Over the past few years, I’ve been exploring many neighborhoods, on foot, in Portland, OR. My walks are generally without purpose, which I enjoy. I haven’t tracked my miles’s, but I’m guessing I’m in the 1,000’s now. My daily walks are 5-10 miles, and my weekend walks usually range from 10-15 miles.

I’ve also taken 1,000’s of snapshots. I favor snapshots that show the character, color, quirkiness, etc in Portland (think Portlandia). Right now, I’m also using my snapshots to call out some egregious (IMO) neighborhood development happening in Portland.

Finally, since I take lots of snapshots on my walks, I definitely recognize the challenge of selecting, organizing, posting, etc. A while back, I considered a photo blog. In the end, however, I just decided to tweet some along the way (@WalkingInOregon) and post to Flickr after each walk.

Mark

6. Chris says:

Did ya see the article in the Times about ‘The Knowledge’? I couldn’t help thinking about Matt.

7. Dave Mills says:

Hello Matt,
    I’m a long way from NYC but continue to enjoy your journey. Thanks for taking all of us along. Happy Holidays from Jackson, Wyoming.

8. tom says:

keep up the good work…enjoy walking along with you…if only in spirit

9. Looking forward to the updates. Many years from now your blog will be unique portrait of our beloved city.

10. Stephen Carpenter says:

Matt- this is a huge project you set for yourself. I just looked at the map. Who would have thought. And the photos. This is a New York City that no one has seen in its entirety.

11. Pasquale says:

:) Glad to see you didn’t abandon it – eagerly awaiting for you to go through the town I grew up in to see what you find. Hint; you’ll find the only farm in NYC.

12. Robert says:

So happy that you decided to do this. I made a comment a long time ago giving you hope and inspiration for waht you were doing and I just happened across your path again. So I wish you well and thanks for capturing the beauty of our country.

13. Chris says:

Hey Matt,

Have you finished with your walk? I was just wondering if you might consider another across the country walk at some point in a different path?

14. Scott says:

Matt…..I followed your first journey and it was incredible….I mentioned years ago you should compile a book….have you considered that? Your story and photos would be compelling to many people…..even if you self-publish, you have a following which may help you sell many books……just saying……L8R

15. Kier from Oregon says:

Welcome back Matt, I hadn’t seen your work for a while so was very pleased this morning to see you are still out there doing an amazing job of capturing the wonderful sights of NYC. David and I wish you happy trails and looking forward to catching up on your adventures! Take care

PS Hi to the folks

• Lv says:

I noticed your website in a magzine. I’m a chinese schoolboy.I have learned a lot from your trips.I hope your trips will be always interesting!

16. Mark McGuire says:

Hi Matt

I’ve just discovered the articles and video of your meeting with William Helmreich (@NYNobodyKnows) http://goo.gl/8ToH9m. I’m enjoying your photos and William’s Instagram photos: https://goo.gl/v49gRM. Do you have a Twitter or Instagram account? You can publish your photos to Instagram, Twitter, Flickr and Tumblr simultaneously. I’m sure there also are other ways to streamline the process. I just think you could spread your story and images further and faster. I tried a small experiment two years ago (http://marksjourney.tumblr.com/).

All the best from New Zealand.

Mark McGuire

• melonie says:

So jealous you’re my hero
      ! Thank you I can’t wait to be there I only hope I get to meet you someday! Stay safe and keep on walking!

17. Maggi says:

Just discovered you while I’m sitting in an auto shop waiting room watching RIGHT THIS MINUTE. Good going!!!

18. Elizabeth from Brooklyn says:

Hi there Matt — Learned about you from a NY Times article that The Tenement Museum posted in an email. So thought I would take a look at your blog and photos. I think what I like most about your photos is how they show the NY we see every day. Unlike photos that just want to be pretty, you show reality. Best of luck on your walk-about. Elizabeth

19. Chris says:

Hey Matt! Nice seeing you in the New Yorker video!

20. Joe says:

Glad to have you back. I was walkin’ through the Bronx with my son a couple of weeks ago and I was thinking about you. Keep up the great work!-JOE

21. Mike says:

Assuming you haven’t keeled over in the last six months since your most recent post, that means you are still walking and uncovering city secrets, and I’m still cheering you on and keeping tabs. Hope all’s well!

22. joel says:

I am walking all of the streets in my neighborhoods here in Southern Brooklyn, I completed 2 neighborhoods, and am planning a 16 mile walk for Thanksgiving, which would be my longest. Your achievements are exceptional and I commend you for them, both this project and the across america walking.

23. Karen Too says:

To those who celebrate it, wishing you all a safe, peaceful, Happy Thanksgiving. :-)

24. Luz says:

I have met with but one or two persons in the course of my life who understood the art of Walking, that is, of taking walks — who had a genius, so to speak, for sauntering, which word is beautifully derived “from idle people who roved about the country, in the Middle Ages, and asked charity, under pretense of going a la Sainte Terre, to the Holy Land, till the children exclaimed, “There goes a Sainte-Terrer,” a Saunterer, a Holy-Lander. They who never go to the Holy Land in their walks, as they pretend, are indeed mere idlers and vagabonds; but they who do go there are saunterers in the good sense, such as I mean. Some, however, would derive the word from sans terre, without land or a home, which, therefore, in the good sense, will mean, having no particular home, but equally at home everywhere. For this is the secret of successful sauntering. He who sits still in a house all the time may be the greatest vagrant of all; but the saunterer, in the good sense, is no more vagrant than the meandering river, which is all the while sedulously seeking the shortest course to the sea.
    No wealth can buy the requisite leisure, freedom, and independence which are the capital in this profession… It requires a direct dispensation from Heaven to become a walker.
    Thoreau

25. BJL says:

Matt, you’re almost 90% of the way along your quest! As one of the many in the online world cheering you along, I want to say that your vision, persistence and determination are remarkable.

26. Shannon says:

Matt!

So strange that your most recent post after a bit of being away was today! I was just going through my blog and came across a post I had written about you contacting me and telling me a story of inspiration and that I had come to your mind during a difficult time in your life. I came to your blog to say Hi and see you posted today! Very strange coincidence :)

Glad to see you’re still at it, and I’m absolutely blown away by your walking map! Keep on truckin’ my friend.

Shannon

27. Gigi says:

Great to see the map almost filled with those red lines! Way to go Matt!

28. Sandi says:

Matt, do you ever regret beginning this journey?

29. Chris says:

You are in the home stretch!

30. Julie in Cincinnati says:

Hi Matt! I’ve been following you since the beginning of your walk across the U.S. (a long time). I love your pictures and the stories & history. Do you have an “I’m Just Walking” facebook page that you update also?

31. Joseph Marino says:

Hey Matt:
    I’m glad you are still chugging along. I’ve been following you since your article in the NY TIMES about your walk through NYC. Keep it up.
    Enjoy NYC in the Fall.

32. Catherine says:

Hello Matt,
    I have been following your trip in New York since the begenning. I congratulate you.
    You make me travel in a city that perhaps I shall never see. Too far, too expensive and I am quite old.
    Excuse me for the grammatical errors, I write you from France, from Lyon, the third city of my little country.
    Thank you for the so specific view you have of the “big apple” and follow walking, “bon vent” like we say in France.

33. Gena says:

So glad you came to our little town this weekend. I find your project so interesting and I love the fact that you’re “just walking” You have encouraged me to look a little deeper and appreciate a little more. I wish you all the best with this quest and I will definitely be following your progress.

34. Nose Knows says:

The real question is are you now walking instead of walkin’ ? Have you been spending too much time uptown?

35. Thom Hessel says:

Still follow your blog daily dude, even if no photo updates I still check in! It’s so great, thanks for doing it!

36. Aussie Brad says:

Hi Matt,

The red lines on your map are filling up. There are pockets here and there but the majority of your unexplored area is on Staten Island. Given that you are a Staten Island native are you intending to finish up somewhere there (maybe with an ocean plunge similar to your Rockaway Beach escapade) or are you intending to finish in an iconic location (Battery Park, Broadway or Wall St perhaps?)