This painted sign was recently uncovered when the building next door was demolished. Chandler, whose featured line of pianos was Ivers & Pond, was founded in 1869, and was said to be Brooklyn's oldest piano house when it moved from this location in 1928.
The center of Brooklyn's bureaucracy, completed in 1926, is now being partially converted into commercial space. A candy store and a Sephora have already opened here; a yoga studio and a Neiman Marcus are on the way.
There are numerous bands and cables tied to the columns of Borough Hall. (They're partially visible in the previous photo as well, if you look closely.) At first, I assumed they must be serving some important structural function, but it looks like they're actually just there to hold up big colorful banners from time to time.
Opened in 1848, today's Borough Hall was originally Brooklyn's City Hall, serving in that capacity for the 50 years preceding Brooklyn's incorporation into New York City.
This building was erected in 1903; its predecessor, completed in 1823, was the first Catholic church on Long Island, and became the cathedral of the Diocese of Brooklyn when the diocese was established in 1853. St. James was the sole seat of the bishop for the next 160 years, although its status was downgraded to pro-cathedral from 1896 to 1972 in anticipation of the construction of a colossal cathedral that never ended up being built. Just last year, however, the much larger St. Joseph's in Prospect Heights, capable of hosting the big events that St. James can't, was named co-cathedral of the diocese. (Prior to this designation, major diocesan gatherings were traditionally held at the gigantic Basilica of Our Lady of Perpetual Help in Sunset Park.)
Pope John Paul II visited St. James in 1979, and, according to a plaque on the front of the church, "He walked in our midst, touched our hearts and despite torrential rain, he brought the sun".
When it was built in 1894, this church had a greater seating capacity than any other in Brooklyn or New York City. (At the time, NYC comprised only Manhattan and part of the Bronx.) It was rebuilt after being devastated by a fire in 1917, and was damaged once again by a blaze in 2010. Short on funds to repair the interior and replace the roof, church officials are now looking for someone to redevelop the site into a mixed-use facility that would still provide a place of worship for the congregation. Ideally, the church would like the existing structure maintained and built on top of rather than demolished, but that may prove unfeasible.
on the grounds of Long Island University's Brooklyn campus
This massive sculpture at Long Island University's Brooklyn campus was inspired by the Soldiers' and Sailors' Arch at Grand Army Plaza.
Originally the lobby of the Paramount Theatre
Opened in 1928, the former Paramount Theatre currently serves as the Arnold and Marie Schwartz Athletic Center at Long Island University's Brooklyn campus. Check out this breathtaking shot of the gymnasium, and then take this fantastic photo tour through the whole building.
Opened in 1919, this building operated as a theater of one sort or another for almost four decades. After a stint as a bowling alley, it was converted into manufacturing space sometime in the 1960s. Recently renovated, it is now home to BRIC House, "a multidisciplinary arts and media center designed to support artists and engage the public", and UrbanGlass, an organization "committed to furthering the use of glass as a creative medium." You can see some interior photos here.