Day 408

Williamsbridge Reservoir Keeper’s House

February 10th, 2013

Built in 1889-90 as a residence for the reservoir keeper, this house was bought by Isaac Barkey, a physicist and engineer, in 1946. He constructed a chemical and biological laboratory in the basement, where he conducted his "confidential research", and spent many years trying to shape the structure into the mansion of his dreams. He never succeeded, though, and finally moved out, heartbroken, in 1998, selling the house to the Mosholu Preservation Corporation, which still owns it today.

Leave a Reply