at City College. A plaque on the wall reads:
Dedicated in memory of Adolph Lewisohn, 1849-1938, who provided funds in 1913 for the construction of Lewisohn Stadium, which occupied this site from 1914 to 1973. The stadium, designed by Arnold W. Brunner, served as an athletic field for City College and also became New York City's most renowned and beloved outdoor musical center. Each summer, for nearly 50 years, the stadium attracted thousands of visitors to listen to "music under the stars" performed by the greatest artists of the day.You can check out old photos of the stadium, watch a scene from Serpico (starring Al Pacino) filmed in the stadium, and take a look at several concert programs from the '20s and '30s.
According to another plaque, the one visible above:
Items commemorating life at The City College of New York were buried in a time capsule here on Adolph Lewisohn Plaza of Honor on November 17, 2000.
The capsule is to be opened in the year 2050.