Day 15

What were you doing when…

April 10th, 2010

Most of the road signs in Pennsylvania have a date written on the back, presumably the date of installation. This seems like a good policy in case this information is otherwise lost. But I have a feeling the person who put up this sign would have no problem recalling the exact date it was installed.


  1. Thomas says:

    That is amazing.
    Similar surprise: We were going through my late father’s papers a short while back and were amazed that an insurance policy he took out was filed on 11/22/1963.

  2. Bob Currie says:

    “What were you doing when?” I was driving to work in the state of Idaho when the first plane hit the towers. I was at work when the second plane hit. It seemed so surreal, the third and fourth planes made it seem as though it would never end… I remember wondering, what’s next? I work in a large high output factory and very little work got done that day, everyone was either glued to their computer monitor, or listening to the radio, management was right there with us. Not one complaint was uttered from management about the lack of work being done. God bless all those who lost their lives and the loved ones left behind.

  3. Elliott says:

    That day, I stayed home from school ill. My grandparents burst through my door white as ghosts saying that someone had “bombed” the WTC. I turned the TV on just in time to see the second plane. As soon as I graduated high school, I enlisted in the USAF and I am in my seventh year of service as a Sergeant. No regrets.

  4. Barb V says:

    It was in Pennsylvania where United Flight 93 went down that day.

  5. Rhonda says:

    I was watching the world trade center implode from the 35th floor window of 1Dag Hammarskjold

  6. Julie from the Sunshine State says:

    I had driven from Nashville to visit my Dad in Montgomery, AL., while my husband and contemplated whether or not to get a divorce. My Dad was watching the morning news and started yelling for my stepmother and me – the first plane had hit. I recall screaming “Oh my God, oh my God” as the second plane exploded. Needless to say, we did not stop watching for hours, for days. And I drove back to Nashville and announced I wanted the divorce. The next weekend, I had to drive to Kansas City, MO to be in a wedding because all the flights had been cancelled. I was so tired when I arrived that I drove the wrong way on a one-way street in downtown KC. Two cops were on me in a heartbeat – that’s how nervous everyone was.

  7. Kevin says:

    I was a Sergeant in the Army on a training mission in Louisiana. We were largely separated from anything remotely civilian expect whatever they put across on the radio. We were practicing for a tour overseas in Kosovo and at 0700 that morning they announced that the games had begun. Being the most junior SGT in this company my squad was manning the gate and I was monitoring the radio first. About an hour after starting the drill, we got a simple message that “terrorist have bombed the WTC, more information as available”. I joked with my soldiers for a long time that the “Old Man” was taking this practice way way way too far and it wasn’t until the Colonel himself drove up to our gate and told us the mission is on hold, here is a portable radio, separate any soldier with family in NYC and then you can turn it on. I crisply said, “Yes sir” watched his humvee roll out of sight and turned on the radio to learn it was true and by then they were reporting that it was a plane not a bomb. We were already geared up for the practice mission and thought for sure we would be on a plane that night to places unknown…turns out we didn’t get shipped out until November of that year, over two months later.

  8. Melody Mahan says:

    11-22-63 was when President Kennedy was killed. I keep wondering why every one is talking about 9/11 and no one mentioned 11/22/63. I’m confused. I was in the 6th grade when the President was killed and I remember that day and the following days up and through his funeral. When 9/11 happened I was at work and since it was in Oklahoma City and the federal building had been bombed just a few years prior, the senior partner sent everyone home so we wouldn’t be near downtown in case some kook decided to his OKC again. Stayed up watching TV for days. It happened on a Wednesday and downtown OKC was closed off until Monday so we were off work glued to the TV. My sister and I went out to eat and even in the suburb where we lived the streets and businesses were almost deserted. Sad and scary day.

    • Melody Mahan says:

      I was referring to the OKC bombing happening on a Wednesday. I don’t remember what day of the week it was when 9/11 happened, but seems like for days there was constant news coverage. I was packing to move and would sit up all night watching. I was going to work the day they executed Tim McVay and downtown OKC had high security that day too.

Leave a Reply