Day 1022

528 Van Duzer Street

October 17th, 2014

This residence was originally the Robinson Hose Company 9 firehouse (as indicated by the semicircular window up in the gable). The company, part of the volunteer Edgewater Fire Department, was established in 1880, moved here in either 1889 or 1895, and was disbanded in 1905 when the FDNY took over firefighting duties in the area. As a hose company, it "used a hand-pulled hose wagon and relied on hydrant pressure until an engine company arrived at fires."

Leave a Reply