Day 1017

Cootie and the Godfather

October 12th, 2014

This Addisleigh Park house belonged to Cootie Williams from 1947 to 1953 and James Brown from 1962 to 1971. During Brown's residence, the house was surrounded by a moat and, at Christmastime, decorated with black Santa Clauses on the lawn. (Today, leading to the front door is what looks like a bridge over a dry section of moat.) According to some person on Flickr:

The home looked different back then as it was painted black. There was also a moat over water that was illuminated with green, red, and white lights most summer evenings. JB used to come out and shake all of our hands if we were lucky enough to see him during a summer day camp walk. Always told us to "stay in school".

Leave a Reply