There are a number of terra-cotta emblems, some visible above, adorning the forecourt of the Columbus. The Santa María is represented on two of the emblems (close-up), as is the Niña, but the Pinta is nowhere to be found!
An inscription on the other side of the entryway indicates that the building was erected in 1926. An ad that ran in the Brooklyn Daily Eagle in 1927 proclaimed the Columbus to be "The most perfect and up-to-date Elevator Apartment House in Brooklyn", and boasted of these features:
Every improvement for convenience and comfort, including solarium on roof and auditorium for socials. Equipped gymnasium in basement with attendant physical instructor.
Italian garden; telephone and radio connection in every apartment; wall safes, incinerators, Otis elevators. A few choice apartments available.
Two blocks from elevated and subway trains to Times Square. Surface cars nearby. Convenient to schools and churches.