Day 169

Vestige of the Ninth Avenue El

June 16th, 2012



The first elevated railway in New York City was the Ninth Avenue El, which began operation in 1868 as the West Side and Yonkers Patent Railway, perhaps the earliest commercial cable car system. Steam locomotives replaced the cable cars after a couple of years, and the line was extended over the next few decades, eventually stretching from the southern tip of Manhattan all the way into the Bronx.

The line was largely shut down and dismantled in 1940, but a shuttle train continued to serve the short section that ran between the Polo Grounds in Manhattan and Yankee Stadium in the Bronx until 1958, the year after the Giants decamped for San Francisco. Atop this blue concrete structure once stood the shuttle's Jerome-Anderson Avenues station (remnants of which are still visible on the other side of that black metal fence), which could be accessed from one of those doors at street level.


Leave a Reply